Free Chair Makeover | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Free Chair Makeover

Share It:
I'm enjoying my vacation, thanks!  My 7 year old nephew beat me in miniature golf but that's cool, that's cool.   So I could share a bunch of pictures showing us all having so much fun but that would mean I would have to go get my camera, take that card out of it, put it in the computer, and do stuff. All that work sounds very unvacationlike so instead I am showing something I did a long time ago but that I'm proud of none-the-less.  And the best part is that the pictures are already uploaded so no work needed to be done to make this post.

 I received two chairs from a teacher friend of mine who was cleaning out her attic. They were the first things she'd purchased as a young bride and now, 40 years later, she was giving them to me.  We had just bought our first house and were too poor to buy anything really nice. We were so grateful!  Ok, I was so grateful. Jim wondered what they were doing in his new house.  He came to my side later. But first...

They were two chairs that looked like this:


Um...great! Thanks. I think.  What do I do with them?  I knew they were sturdy and I liked the details on the side and the caning on the backs. Hmmmm, thinking, thinking.  I know what the DIY bloggers are thinking looking at that picture. You're all thinking "Why was this so hard for her? Why didn't she just spray them heirloom white and recover them in a bold fabric? Duh. She's a teacher?"  Well guess what! 










Boo-ya!

and again



Later I added cream colored satin pleated pillows for the back but never did take that picture.  Maybe when my vacation is over and I'm back to doing things like standing up in a nonbeach place.

 Hope you are all having a beautiful start to the week!


Cheers!
Jenny




17 comments:

  1. Sweet!!! Nice restyle I'm your newest follower stop by for a blog visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, thanks for the kind comments you left.
    this chair turned out perfect...love it
    amy
    craftedbymama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the striking black and white fabric for the chair. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, thanks for following! I am also in NJ, South Jersey, (at least for the time being). It's crazy how the internet makes the world a little smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I am impressed. You refurbishing mamas are so talented! I want to try a furniture makeover!!

    Happy to be your newest follower ~ Adrianne
    www.happyhourprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I love your chair! It amazes me both that you saw potential in that old chair and how beautiful you made it look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great success! Your cushion caught my eye...here is why! http://sweetwaterstyle.blogspot.com/2011/08/almost-no-sew-box-cushions.html
    I think my cushions are a close match to yours :)
    Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You breathed new life into this! Beautiful! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it and it's free! It looks 100 times better! Good job :)

    http://designpardeux.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric is absolutely beautiful! That is what caught my eye first off. I love that it was free, doesn't get much better than that! Great job!

    I would love to have you share this at my first link party--

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo-yah is right, Teach'! Nice job!

    And since you are an Teacher-- THANK YOU. Just consider it from "a parent" who maybe forgot to tell you THANK YOU in your career sometime. I think your profession is unappreciated sometimes (sadly).

    Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed's Linky Party today,
    From NW Illinois,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOOOOVE! omg that is gorgeous and SO my style.. love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! I can't believe its the same chair! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a difference a little paint and a new cushion can make! You did a great job!

    glosews

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Jenny - you did a stunning redo on this chair - wow - talk about night and day difference-who'da thunk it?!

    Am your Newest Follower from the soc sat hop - nice to meet you-You've got great projects!

    Happy Saturday---

    Linda
    beachside cottage

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your chair turned out beautiful! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will party again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!