Friends and Literature | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Friends and Literature

Share It:



I had lunch today with two dear friends. Both influenced me greatly when I was a very green teacher and they have added so much to my life, both personally and professionally. Carol basically taught me how to teach 2nd grade....lucky for my first class! She is a profoundly fantastic teacher who never stops learning and growing and caring. Carol is passionate about children's literature and introduced me to the list of the 100 picture books everyone should know. You can find the list here http://kids.nypl.org/reading/recommended2.cfm?ListID=61 . It has become the hammer in my teaching toolbox. Got a few minutes left at the end of the day? Grab a book from the list. Can't find a book for Molly at the library? Grab a book from the list. Need to feel close to an old friend? Grab a book from the list. I think of Carol every time I read one of these beautiful pieces of literature; these pieces of someone's imagination they were generous enough to share with us all.
Doreen taught me how to manage my life as a teacher. She makes Martha Stewart look disorganized! She showed me that so much of teaching is preparation, planning, reviewing, perfecting and she does it without breaking a sweat. Doreen has a wicked sense of humor and she always makes me laugh even if crying is what I went to her to do.
So today I share the list of books with you and a poem my father, an avid reader, shared with us once. I hope you are as lucky as I am to have such wonderful mentors in your life who also call themselves your friends.


THE READING MOTHER

Strickland Gillilan

I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath

I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Celert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch,
Oh, that each mother of boys were such.

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!