Green Decor and Homemade Play Dough | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Green Decor and Homemade Play Dough

Share It:
Everything is popping up green in the decorating world. If you picked up any shelter magazine lately you'll have been hit with green everywhere for spring!  It's fresh, comes in a shade to compliment most decors, and it goes with almost every other color. I am not a huge lover of green and there is almost none in my house but  do like the way it's used as a spring accent.


BHG

The green curtains brighten up this palette and brings some lightness
to the heavy, dark sofa. So pretty!

BHG

I love this vintagey, avocado green in the velvet pillow
and bench. It's a way to do green with an understated elegance.

House Beautiful

This bold white against the pear green keeps this wallpaper
modern and crisp.

Drake Design Associates
This green headboard and bed spread are so elegant
and luxurious. I adore them against the blue walls.

A Designer Spot

I love this room with the green walls although I don't think I could
commit to that much kelly. However, the splash
of kelly in the chair and lamp in the second picture
proves that a little bit still makes a huge impact.
Today Molly and I experimented with green in our own way. We made homemade glitter play dough and Molly chose to make it green. She declared it her new favorite color. Her old favorite color was "Pink purple sparkle hearts & flowers" said all in one breath. Now it's green.


Ingredients:
2 C. water colored with food coloring or kool-aid if you want it to smell good
1 TBS vegetable oil
2 C. flour
1/2 C. table salt
1 TBS cream of tarter
Glitter

Directions: 
Heat the water and oil in a pan until it's hot (I didn't let it come to a boil)

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the dry ingredients including the glitter. I used about a quarter cup of glitter for this recipe but you use what you think looks about right. We used silver.

Stir the dry ingredients into the hot water/oil and keep it on a low heat while it comes together. Stir, stir, stir and use a heavy wooden spoon because it gets stiff fast!

Turn it out onto a sheet pan and let it cool a bit. When it's cool enough to handle kneed it until it's soft and pliable. Store in an air tight container.

Molly played with it for a good long while and it was fun to do on a sort of boring day.

Tomorrow I announce the Shabby Apple winner!  Is it you?

Cheers!
Jenny


12 comments:

  1. I was getting so excited for spring and then it went and dumped a bunch of snow on us tonight :(. All these pretty green accents get me all excited again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome recipe for green play dough! I think I may have to make some of this for my nieces and nephews this week!

    Thanks so much for sharing over at this weeks Tutorial Tuesday!

    Kari
    Newlyweds on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea - we've been on kind of a glitter kick lately, but I didn't think of adding it to play dough - this is gonna be fun. And messy. But, mostly fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! Sparkle play-dough is AWESOME! I've actually never seen it until now! Your daughter's old favorite color is adorable! I mean, I like green too, but a run-on favorite color with sparkle hearts and flowers is just too cute!

    Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living. I'm going to feature this on FB tomorrow :)
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just pinned your play dough can't wait to make it for my little one. We make the plain kind a lot, he pretends its biscuit dough.... this will be way more fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO perfect for St Patrick's Day! The touch of glitter is so lovely--LOVE LOVE LOVE! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post for decorating ideas thanks! I'm not much for green either but it's nice eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great play dough!! I hear that green is in this season!! :) Happy to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!! www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cool!
    I’d love if you would come link this up at From Scratch Friday!

    ~Christina
    www.marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun!!!!!! Oh my gosh i wanna make some!

    I would absolutely love if you linked this up to my new linky party going on now!!!

    http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/saturday-spotlight-3.html

    xoxo, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love green. Thanks for the fun inspiration pics!

    And, I love the play-do recipe! My momma used to make me play-do! Fun memories :)

    Thanks so much for linking up last Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have to give that glitter play dough a try. Looks awesome! Megan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!