Toddler Sandbox Alternative Fun | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Toddler Sandbox Alternative Fun

Share It:
We finally had a break in the rain yesterday morning for a wee bit of time so I pulled out one of my favorite toddler toys for Ellie:  The oatmeal sandbox. 


I used a towel underneath because the ground was a little wet.
Still easy clean up though because I just shook it out.


I did this for Molly when she was little and it was perfect for her. The oatmeal is large enough not to get into her eyes, nooks & crannies, and the like but small enough to bury treasures, pour, dig, etc.  If she put some in her mouth, as toddlers are known to do, no big deal. It's just oatmeal. Nasty, dry oatmeal but still.  It's not sand.    Best part?  No clean up!  The oatmeal feeds the forest animals that party in my backyard during the night!

Another perk is that it's great for small spaces. If you don't have room for a sandbox in your backyard this is easy to make as large or as small as you need.

Truth be told, Molly played with it and Ellie stood back and had this
"That is whack" look on her face.


Here are some tips:
1. Use clean, new, non-instant oatmeal. (no duh, right?)

2. Place the oatmeal in a plastic container with a lid so you can keep it clean for next play time.

3.  Do it on the grass so there is no clean up or on a deck that you can easily sweep.

That's it!  Play on, toddlers!




Cheers!
Jenny

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea and am totally doing it for Emma! Thanks for sharing--genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea!! Totally stealing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea. It would be especially great for my littlest one. Thanks for sharing. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I have 3 children under the age of 4! oatmeal wins over sand or rocks anytime! Must do! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted you to know that Emma and I will be trying this in a few days! I'll be posting pics on my blog, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never ever seen such an idea - I think it's OAT-Rageously Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, I put oatmeal in my daughters sensory tub and then when I came back the dogs had ate it all!! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! I was really worried about my son eating the sand in the sandbox, so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love discovery tubs. Never thought of oatmeal. Love it!

    Love for you to follow back ;) Look forward to some other great ideas...

    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO cute!!! Thank you for sharing at the Weekend Warrior, I pinned it and featured it on my Facebook page. :)

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea we use dried beans but this would be a lot lighter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable!! thank you for sharing at Uncommon! featured you tonight!Stop by and grab a button! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Visiting from Uncommon. What a fun idea! My toddler would love this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!