DIY Mercury Glass | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

DIY Mercury Glass

Share It:
I have been trying to find a store around here that stocks Krylon's Looking Glass spray paint for months now. I love all the DIY mercury glass projects out there that you all are doing and felt woefully deficient as a DIY blogger that I hadn't done one yet. I mean I mastered the tissue paper pouf, the ruffle wreath, and the monogrammed pillow, but I hadn't yet made my own mercury glass. sniff. And y'all were kinda rubbin' it in with all your "Hobby Lobby this" and "Hobby Lobby that." We don't have Hobby Lobby here. We have Taylor Ham (pork roll), full service gas stations only, and farms (did you know that? NJ is crazy filled with farms) but no Hobby Lobby. It's ok though. You didn't know.

Anyway, I finally found it at my not-so-local Ace Hardware! Oh yeah, rock on with my bad self. So I grabbed those $2.50 candle holders I bought at Target and WHOOPS. So I grabbed the one $2.50 candle holder I bought at Target and made my own mercury glass. I heard you whisper "finally" under your breath.


I used a combination of tutorials I found on the world wide web.

 Mix up equal amounts of vinegar and water. Spray your whatever with a bottle or your fingers.  I used fingers. Don't over wet your object. The drops are where the inconsistencies in the shiny parts will be.


I used 5-6 coats of Krylon's Looking Glass spray paint. This paint is thin and goes on quickly. I used short, light sprays.

Coat 1

Coat 2

Coat 4
 Then I used a few tissues to blot the droplets. The paint will come off wherever the droplets are. I also rubbed in a few areas to have larger areas where the color will peep out and look inconsistent. I then sprayed more paint here and there so it wouldn't look even.



I am really happy with it and need to get back to Target to get another.




And this paint is a ton of fun to play with!  What else can I turn into fake mercury glass?  I wonder...

Cheers!
Jenny

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I am so glad you posted how it worked out. Last week I saw your post and checked our local hardware and they didn't have the product, but we do have a hobby lobby about an hour away. Love your candlestick! Thank you for sharing your little tutorial too!
    Godspeed,
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got your mercury glass fix! I couldn't find it in Canada and a friend brought me a can from the US. I've just done the first coat on some dresser accessories and can't wait to see how they turn out! Love your candle holder! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!