Pottery Barn Inspired Artwork | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Pottery Barn Inspired Artwork

Share It:

I love creating things inspired by Pottery Barn! I was browsing the Pottery Barn Kids catalog and came across these way cool vintage inspired framed flashcards. Teaching is so important to me and I always find myself drawn to school inspired accessories and thought these would be perfect for me!  Plus I have a very mild vintage school theme going on in the powder room. I wanted to hang these outside the door as a little tongue-in-cheek ode to the bathroom.






$99 a piece?  A PIECE?  Ok, they say these are vintage inspired but we still use these in schools. Had I been in my classroom I could have grabbed the actual stuff and called it art.   I checked the site a few weeks later and found they were on sale. Yeah, on sale. For $50 a piece. Now I love me some good Pottery Barn but there ain't no way I am supporting Mr. P. Barn in his quest for a new house on the Hamptons by buying these. So I went ahead and made them.

Supplies:
$3 Walmart Frame (1 frame that holds 2- 3.5x5" pictures)
Ivory resume paper
printer
computer
time

1. I wanted them matted so I took out the mat that came with the frame and cut out the middle portion that separated the two openings to make one large opening.







2. I used Schoolhouse font to make my addition problems and ivory resume paper (for a vintage look). Since these are Jenny Barn I decided to not have the answer side showing. Let' em figure it out, I say!  To fit the whole opening I used a 150 pt font, except for the plus sign and the equal line which I used a smaller font to create.



3. Print. Cut. Tape to mat. And a big old BOO-YA!



play room decor pottery barn school theme


I know they aren't dead ringers but for $3 I'm ok with that. I am still stoked.  I still love Pottery Barn.



Cheers!
Jenny


17 comments:

  1. $99? Are they out of their mind? Jenny Barn is just as good as P. Barn. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Those are really cute! Turned out great!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love them! PB is ridiculously overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your style and your creative fare for saving money. I am a true believer that you can have big style on a small budget.
    Great job! Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these in the catalog, too and thought they would be neat for a playroom. Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just laughing at you and Mr. P Barn and his new house on the Hamptons! Love your rendition. Why would anyone pay $90 or $50?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Such a simple idea but it looks darling. So smart of you to make your own. I hope you'll be adding this to my What We Wore Read and made Link party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! Pinning it:) Thank you so much for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend! Would love if you could copy my button code or blog URL to this:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I think yours are definitely worth the money you saved.: ) What a great school room idea.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Imagine, $99 each, YIKES!!! I love how you turned it into your own (for such a great price)... love that you are planning to hand them outside of the bathroom (grin)... I followed your link and am also participating at The Answer is Chocolate - Open House Link Party... check out my post here: http://quilling.blogspot.com/2012/07/fabulous-friday-share-memories-freebies.html
    Hugs, Antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Sundae Scoop. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-5.html Wishing you a grand weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Came over from Overflowing. I am a retired teacher and have stacks of these flash cards I use to make greeting cards and journals. I never thought I would be so old as to have my things be vintage collectibles. Your idea is very creative and so inexpensive. Do you think PB ever reads all these blogs about them?

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute idea. Visiting from Overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like yours better! They turned out great!

    Newest follower from the Talent Tuesday Linky Party!

    The Pretty Pinhead

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a dream! I'm featuring you on Saturday! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!