Latest & Greatest #8, Garage Sale Table, Little Bits O' Christmas | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Latest & Greatest #8, Garage Sale Table, Little Bits O' Christmas

Share It:
A bunch of years ago I bought a table and chair set at a garage sale for $25. Jim thought I was crazy because it was in such rough shape but I was determined!  I painted the chairs white and recovered them with new fabric but they proved to be very uncomfortable. Sadly they did not make the trip to Central Jersey from North Jersey.


It was for the best as I know so much more about furniture redos now than I did back then.  Anyway, I started sanding the top of the table with the intent to restain it but then I got pregnant, had Ellie, blah blah blah. It not only never got finished, we had a half sanded table for 3 years.  I did manage to spray paint the legs a wedgewood blue and did some really bad distressing. Here is what it looked like


This is how we used the table..it's not a mid-project picture. Gross
And the blue isn't showing up well on the front apron but it was all
blue and not white as it appears.



 Now that I have plenty of space to work I decided to make that table look the way I knew it could. So I applied a stripper to remove the glossy finish.

I applied the one on the bottom right. OMGosh this is hilarious.
Ok, back to DIY

Supposed to be safer. Safe enough to use indoors. Indoor what?
The atmosphere?  Because it ain't comin' in my house, thanks. But it worked FANTASTICALLY! 
Really cut down on my work.
Then I scraped and washed the stripper off. He liked that. Moving on, I sanded with my handy orbital sander.



I stained it using Dark Walnut stain by Minwax which is what the previous owners used to refinish the floors.  I decided to only apply 1 coat of stain because I loved the way it turned out on the first go.


Poly-Sand-Poly-Sand-Poly-Poly-Poly


I spray painted the legs Granite by Rustoleum. I love the color but it bubbled a bit because of no reason I could figure. So I sanded and sanded and realized I should have sanded to begin with but I was lazy. Taught me a good lesson. Buy furniture already made. Kidding. Just Sand.

I lightly coated the legs with Minwax Finishing Wax and now here she is!








I'm really happy with it!

So I'm decorating for Christmas around here but everything feels like clutter for some reason.  I'm anti-stuff right now. So I'm just doing small touches around the house. Here are some glimpses of Christmas.

 
I actually already took this down and replaced it with a fresh wreath
that doesn't even have a bow. Nothing. Minimal.

See? Gone. This is much better. I'm going to fill the shelf part of the window
with pointsettias.




Sorry about the wonky color. Um, can we say saturation??  Ick. But I love my snowman hat.
It's so glittery in person and makes me feel like a snowman paid me a visit
but forgot his hat and cane.

Amaryllis are my new favorite Christmas flower. I'm growing some
but in the meantime these will do. They are glittery as well. My theme this year
is sparkle, maybe?!

Big Whoop. A fake pointsettia. I don't care. I like just having a bit of Christmas here and there.


I hope you are all well and happy and enjoying the season!  I'd love to see some of your Christmas touches!





Cheers!
Jenny

23 comments:

  1. Love the table! Great job. I have to tell you though, you are lucky I put a protective cover on my laptop keyboard. I spit water out scrolling down through the stripping section. Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That table is amazing! Really likes the stripper action. Do they come in a six pack? hehe get it? DIY Stripper humor... what next!?

    chickenscratchny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Love your table. I have one on my blog too- I named her "Spot" and I love her too.

    Wanna link up to the party again this week but no linky tools? Show me the way- I'm eager to start listin'

    Smiles, Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I love the pic of the strippers, too funny! Thanks for hosting.
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table is awesome! It looks wonderful in the room! And your holiday decorating is very pretty, too. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome table. You. Are. Hilarious. My hubby and I were laughing together.. the fact that you used an 80s picture with the ridiculous 80s hair. SO funny!!! And seriously, the table is amazing! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the email, I see the tool is working great now. Linked up. Thanks for another nice party!

    Smiles,
    Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your simple Christmas touches - should you like to come visit and simplify my home decor (which is my dream), please come with two semis. I have a lot of stuff. Oh, and your post made me laugh out loud. Those guys are so HOT. Really, no...really - mullets are the best - party in the back, anyone? And the table and stuff turned out amazing! Funny and a talented crafter - you better take this show on the road (seems you already have your opening act, what with the strippers and all . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your candy canes and snowman hat, how adorable! Thanks for inviting me to join your first party. I need to take a look around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for hosting! Love your photos, everything looks great!

    Love Jenny xo
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    PS. I'm having a giveaway and would love for you to come by and enter if you had a moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by to leave such a sweet comment and for the invite! I'm a new follower and I linked up my candy striped wreath:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The table is gorgeous! I have my grandmother's old dining table, and unfortunately it is a laminate top, with wooden legs and woof chairs. By any chance have you seen anything on how to redo laminate?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful table...but come on, the beautiful-est part of that post has to be the charming stripper picture. The one on the bottom right looks kinda like my dad with a blond wig. It made my husband I laugh outloud...I may put it as our computer wallpaper! Thanks for the chuckle~

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok well of course the table is awesome down to the rustic top and gorgeous color- but the "stripper" photo made me pee my pants...almost.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The table is almost perfect-it just needs a framed 8X10 of the stripper photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful table. Ha!! Love the strippers.
    P.S. I have a giveaway going on. Come over and check it out.

    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow your table turned out so great! I really love it! great inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great! Congrats from Spain, Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bwahahaha! That pic of the '80's era strippers made my day. Great job on the table. Want to come do mine? Loved your Christmas deco too. So many things to pin! I am adding you to my blog reader!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jenny, all your hard work paid off. The table looks so rustic and gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing and Happy New Year. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a wonderful job on this table! I LOVE the top. I will be coming back to your blog often for more fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out sooooo great!

    Love the finish that you used!

    And that "stripper" photo WAS hilarious!

    I would be thrilled if you would link this up at my first ever Feature Friday Free-for-All (200+ links already and growing...yes, I'm a little excited! ; )).

    http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/01/feature-friday-free-for-all-1.html

    P.S. I'm your newest follower. : )

    ~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!